Thursday, January 15, 2009

My next BAP

You may have seen a mention of my newest BAP in my 2009 goals. It's called Holiday Fireplace Mantelpiece and I'm totally in love with it. Why? I don't know...especially since it's a snow scene. But anyway.........

There's a very long story to how I began this. The design comes from Cross Stitch & Needlework magazine and was in 3 parts. Carol sent me the mag with part 3 in it as part of an exchange back in 2007. I fell in love with the piece straight away but realised I probably wouldn't be able to obtain the back issues of the mag plus it's a needlepoint on canvas so put all thoughts of stitching it aside. In November 2008 I found that Needle in a Haystack had it in their on-line catalogue...along with all the threads, canvas and back issues. Ooooooh! Then I discovered that using the suggested threads (which were mostly silks & metallics) would cost me more than US$300!!!! So I re-thought once again. Then I decided to do it as a cross-stitch, using DMC and some metallics on 28ct linen which would fit my mantel perfectly. So I have now started it. Egads....that sky takes forever (& I'm only stitching part 1!)!! Do you wanna see a WIP? It's very exciting...not! LOL.
There's more sky on the left (& a moon) but that's pretty boring. Plus there was no way I could take a pic of the whole thing without it looking like a tiny tiny thing on a huge expanse of white fabric!

15 readers had something to say:

Sue in Australia said...

Hi Alison,I just worked out what BAP means and wow this is one. It's beautiful.

cathymk said...

It's going to be fab!

Melissa said...

A friend from the stitching group at my LNS is doing this on canvas and it's GORGEOUS! I can't wait to watch your progress. :-)

Amanda said...

Yeah you've started!! Can't wait to see your progress on this, it will be beautiful!!

susan said...

Wow Alison,that's beautiful!
What a lovely thing to stitch for your house.I have no doubt you will have it up and finished for Christmas.Handling that expanse of fabric must be interesting though!Keep us posted.
Susan

Jane said...

It's certainly a beautiful design, Alison. Hope you're cut out for it. Looks like it'd take forever to do! What luck finding all the bits and pieces you needed for it. Good choice to go with the DMC to cut down on cost. Now the only question left is do you have the fireplace for it to hang over? :)

Janine said...

Oh god I love it so much. I can't wait to see your updates. Keep stitching my girl.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely piece, Alison - I've never seen this one before.

Jeanne said...

Oh my goodness you are ambitious but what a treasure it will be. I wouldn't have spent the $300 either. Will be watching your progress this year. :)

Anonymous said...

OH wow, that's a real stunner! It's going to be exquisite when it's finished! :D

Karen said...

What a lovely design! It'll look fantastic when it's finished :)

Sally said...

I am really looking forward to seeing this piece grow Alison. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Cathy Lloyd said...

That mantlepiece is going to be fabulous!

Sabine R said...

Oooh, what a beautiful piece!!! To be honest, I wouldn't have the courage to start this... But I'm looking forward to watching your progress!
Happy stitching,
Sabine.

Cenoura said...

It's a lovely piece!
I am looking forward to seeing your work progress, keep stitching!