Monday, February 9, 2009

OK...I give up!

I've been stitching for nearly 20 years and all that time I have stitched 'in hand'. Well, I've finally been dragged over to the dark side! I just had to get a small hoop out to use on my Christmas mantelpiece. Why? Well, many reasons. I started doing the pathway on the piece and it's done using RG Flair. Has anyone ever used this stuff before? It's a tubular nylon, about 1/8" wide. But it stretches. And when I pull it tight in my fabric, it makes huge holes in my linen. Not happy! Then when I did a whole row, it turns out I had pulled so tight, the fabric was gathering. Hence the hoop.

It looks like I might have to invest in some Q snaps. Anyone got any tips for me? What size should I get (bearing in mind that this piece is quite big)? Is there anything else I need to know?

11 readers had something to say:

Nina said...

Hi Alison,

I don't have any good idea for your problem...
I'm stitching 'in hand' only, never use a hoop or anything else to fix my linen.
I tried to imagine your problem, but I can't.
Can you show a photo about it, please?
I hope you will find a solution... maybe using a hoop...

Regards from Hungary,
Nina

Anonymous said...

Only thing I can suggest if you're using Q snaps is to cover your stitching with some fabric where the clamp covers the stitching, to try to protect it a little bit. I have to admit I use some 'no-slip' fabric between the fabric and the Q snap clamp which keeps the fabric more taut and unable to move, but that might not be the best option for you ... I never use my Q snaps if it will cover the stitching :( Good luck, though - can't wait to see it in real life! :D

Jane said...

I always have stitched with a hoop. I find stitching in hand feels awkward with all the fabric flopping everywhere. :) I like the tightness and flat surface you get with a hoop. Scroll bars would probably be similar but I haven't used these myself. It's just personal choice and what works for the current project, I guess. Good luck!

Jeanne said...

I've used just about everything - I like scroll bars for my band samplers and Q-snaps occasionally for large pieces. I like the 8X8" q-snap myself so it's not too big to hold. I roll up the excess fabric hanging off the edges and secure it with a couple of those big plastic "butterfly" hair clips -they work great! I also use some strips of white felt between my fabric and the snap-on part of the Q-snap -prevents any marks and also gives you better tension because the Q-snaps get looser after a bit. Good luck Allison and sending good wishes to all the Aussies dealing with the terrible fires there.

Sharon said...

Hi Alison,

Sorry to hear about your stitching problems. I have always used a hoop and then progressed to the scroll bars, just can't handle "in hand" it gets too messy.

Cheers,
Sharon

Melissa said...

I've stitched with Flair before, but only on canvas. I've never used it with linen before.

As for Q-Snaps, I really like the 8"x8" size if I'm going to be holding it. I do have larger sets as well, but I generally only use them with my floor stand as I find them cumbersome to try and hold to stitch. I also recommend using another fabric between the Q's. I don't mind putting it over my stitching as long as I have the protective fabric, but I never use them over beads, obviously. I generally use some plain white t-shirt fabric so I know there's no risk of any dyes getting on my stitching.

Unknown said...

I just love my q snaps Alison, have them in all sizes and couple of each set and some extender thingees that I can chop and change. I use my 8x8's the most though. Great size.

I agree with Anne and her comments. And Jeanne. I have used the big plastic clips too, they are great.

You will never look back!!

margaret said...

HI Allison,

I just looked at your mantle piece. It is just beautiful and looks terrifiv on the dresser

Margaret n Oak Flats NSW Australia

Abi said...

Hi Alison! I use 4 strips of a cut up old t-shirt (maybe 2 inches wide)to protect my fabric/stitches when using Q-snaps. I have all different sizes. I would suggest getting the biggest size that would fit your project. But I know of some people who only have the 6x6 one and just move it around as they go.

Debs said...

Alison, I haven't used Flair very often but my suggestion, if you want to continue to stitch in hand, perhaps using a laying tool will help? As I pull the fiber to the front, I hold the back of the fabric (and that piece of fiber) with my finger so it doesn't move, either way. When I push the fiber through to the back, I pull it slowly until its nearly all the way through and then use a finger on top to keep from pulling it to tight, and go on and make my next stitch. Does that make any sense? Its more "applying" the fiber than stitching with it--and I hate that particular fiber. LOL Good luck.
hugs
Debs

imnverted said...

I just started 3 huge projects (largest is 26in x 36in). I usually stitch in hand but these are just to big for that. Ive started using a 11x11 q-snap and will be using felt between the stitches and the q-snap once I get that far.

I use the big butterfly clips to hold the projects tubed when Im not stitching on them