I was reading Jude's blog the other day where she mentioned sewing in schools. It really brought back memories of what I sewed in primary school (year 3 to be precise) and I remembered that I still have something from that era. So I thought I'd post a pic of it here for you all to be amused. :)
It's a pinwheel. I think that one was supposed to keep one's pins in the sides, somewhat like a pinkeep. Please excuse the dirty marks on it - it's been hanging around for 40 years LOL.
I always thank people from long ago who date photos etc. My teacher was obviously a cluey woman cos she dated my pinwheel. I would have no idea when I sewed it otherwise. Boy, I can't even remember her name! But I do remember that she was old. Probably only in her 50s though. ROFLOL
And no, I still haven't finished Finch Song!
WIPocalypse – July 2026
1 week ago


12 readers had something to say:
Thanks for posting this photo Alison. Your pinwheel is very similar to mine except mine was pink and made from a fabric called Ceasarene. I'll never forget the name of that fabric as long as I live.
The link to my blog is only showing links to my uni blogs so here is my blog address for the post that Alsion is referring to http://cymbellenesfancywork.blogspot.com.
I remember making one of those as well, I think mine was green. We had to make a matching needle book as well.
We never had to sew anything at school. Same age too. Interesting stuff! :D
I remember sewing in school, too. We made clothes, toys, household linens, etc. Of course, I have none of it to show off!
I was in 3rd grade in 1970 :)
Well...I was in 3rd grade in 1966...so you are just a young chicky! We didn't sew in grade school but I certainly took all the sewing classes I could in jr. high and high school!
Love your pinwheel Alison! What a treasure!
This is so cool. Thank goodness the teacher dated it. The only think I got to make in school was a skirt - boring!! LOL
Excellent stitch from 3rd grade!! Too much fun. You inspired me to get going on my Finch Song. It's lovely isn't it? Why did I wait so long to stitch on it?? Hugs and Happy Stitching
LOL, yeah. I remember back when I thought people ought to just buy their rocking chairs and canes when they turned 30. Oy.
How cool is it to still have projects from when you were in school!
Aw, too cute! :)
How fun! i don't have anything like that but would proudly display it if I had. I love that your teacher dated it. Glad I found your blog - I've added you to my blog roll so I can visit often.
Such a treasure, you lucky stitcher:) Would like to follow your blog, but find no *Follow* feature. No pressure, just mentioning it, in case I missed it.
Sincerely, Sue
http://stitchinsweetsue.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment